14.3.12

Photographer Feature: Jackie Luo

Name
Jackie Luo

Flickr | Website

Age
17

Location
Houston

Who or what sparked your interest in photography?
Nirrimi Firebrace, fashion magazines, Sally Mann.

Who are some of your favorite photographers?
Sally Mann, Tim Walker, Paolo Roversi, Nirrimi Firebrace, Camilla Akrans.

Do you have any formal education in photography or are you self taught?
Self-taught.

Is photography your career?
No.

Are you currently working on any photography projects?
Not especially, no!

If you won a $400 million lottery how would you use it?
I would buy clothes. Tons and tons of gorgeous clothing. New lenses, definitely, and maybe a video camera to shoot films.

What is your favorite thing to photograph and why?
People. People are so gorgeous and expressive in so many ways.

Where do you find and how do you instruct your models?
Online, among my friends, through modeling agencies. We just talk and try to get to know each other.

Do you listen to music while you shoot? If so, what is on your photo shoot play list?
No! But if I did, I'd have M83 on my playlist. Their music is so thought-stimulating.

What kind of camera(s) do you use? What is your "go to" lens? Do you have a preferred brand/type of film?
Canon Rebel XSi and 50mm lens. I recently got a 5D Mark II, so I'm hoping to use that soon! I just use Kodak Gold, usually, nothing special at all, when I shoot film.

What do you do when you are feeling uninspired?
Oh, I wish I knew! I've been uninspired for months now.

Future photography goals?
I just want to create gorgeous images. And magazine and online features are always nice!

Describe a day in your life that includes photography:
Wake up, get ready for a shoot (put together outfits, find makeup and accessories, confirm with everyone coming to the shoot, etc.), drive to the shoot location, wait for hair, makeup, and styling, shoot for two to five hours, grab a snack, go home, nap.

Three interesting facts about yourself?
  1. I love cats. 
  2. I don't feel comfortable in shoes that aren't riding/combat boots or five-inch heels. 
  3. I'm obsessive-compulsive about organizing my computer, room, and pretty much everything else.
What, if anything, do you do to promote your photography? Approximately how much time do you spend per day/week on promoting your photography online?
Flickr and Facebook, but I haven't done much promoting at all!

1 comment: